Sunday, August 2, 2015

Lost Sisters in Sendai (August 3, 2015)

Well this week was crazy.

To boil it down, we biked to the ocean, missed a train, almost missed two more, had our first combined district meeting with another area, first split of the transfer, found a miracle golden investigator through pure revelation, handed out several copies of this Book of Mormon, put blood, sweat, and tears into the work (okay, mostly sweat, hello humidity), had five cancellations, a much-needed surprise massage from one of my favorite members, rode my bike with two good-sized wooden pallets threaded through the straps of my shoulder bag (no it was not comfortable), middle-of-the-night-earthquake and associated half-sleep-talking conversation, and worked so hard waking up in the morning feels like a shattered piece of glass.

Yup. It was an adventurous week.

The split was an adventure and a half by itself. I worked with Sister G, who has been in Japan a little over a week, and sent my own fresh bean chan to Izumi to work with another American. Working with Sister G was so much fun and although we ran around like crazy and we may or may not have had a rapid ten-minute scarf-down of a lunch break, we both learned tons and the Spirit was with us. We taught three lessons and did our studies, placed a Book of Mormon to someone who said, "I will study," and attended FHE. The other two sisters were supposed to arrive back in Ishinomaki in time to catch the second half of FHE.

Well, FHE ended, and we came out of the room.

No sisters.

Checked the phone, we had a voicemail from my wonderful Sister M, like, Hey Sister Luke, we missed the train, we've lost the Izumi cell phone but we'll catch the next train in an hour.

Okay, I think, and look at my watch. That'll put them at the station in fifteen minutes, we'll see them at the apartment at 8:30.

Sister G and I go back to the apartment, conduct our split review, 8:30 comes and goes and still no sisters. Now I'm getting worried; I'm kind of a mom in my heart and we've got two American sisters somewhere in Sendai without a way to contact them. I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt and set up their futons, chatting with Sister G.

Nine o'clock.

Sister G and I are sitting on the floor and I decide, that's it. I call the Zone Leaders and tell them what's up, but let's be honest, Zone Leaders are also just 20 year old kids in neckties. They don't have much good advice but tell me to wait 'til 9:30, then call the President (of the mission).

Ten minutes pass. I start telling Sister G about all the reasons the sisters would/should/could be safe when I hear a rattle in the general direction of the doorway. I take off down the hall, pop the lock and burst out of the apartment in front of some travel weary sisters. "OH MY GOSH I'm so glad you're safe," was about all I could come up with but I ushered them in and they told us their tale over ice cream sandwiches.

Which actually wasn't that exciting, just some miscommunication and a lost cell phone and two girls in a big station with a fairly fundamental understanding of the language. Just about enough to give this little mama a heart attack, but another dendo memory:)

One thing I do know that I learned this week is at God truly does watch over us. He loves us and sometimes we are so blind to what will make us the most happy (in this case, ice cream after a long day;)

Love you all! If you could send a prayer Kayo's way, I would be quite happy. She has been progressing rapidly and the main factor keeping her from baptism is that she's afraid her family won't approve or understand. She wants her sons to grow up in the Gospel to keep them safe, so please pray for her and her family!


Apparently I took about no pictures this week, so here's a picture of the ocean in Ishinomaki!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.